Nottingham is a city with a rich and fascinating history, dating back to the 6th century, when it was a small settlement called Snotta inga ham, meaning the village of Snotta's people. Over the centuries, Nottingham grew into a thriving town, and later a city, that witnessed many important events and developments in the history of England. From the legend of Robin Hood and his merry men, to the rise and fall of the lace industry, to the modern and vibrant cultural scene, Nottingham has a lot to offer to visitors who want to discover its past and present.
But Nottingham is not only a city of legends and lace, it is also a city of romance and adventure. Whether you are looking for a relaxing and scenic escape, or a fun and exciting experience, Nottingham has something for every couple. Here are some of the best things to do in Nottingham for couples:
- Take a boat trip along the River Trent. One of the best ways to explore Nottingham is by boat, as you can admire the views and the wildlife along the river. You can choose from different options, such as Princess River Cruises, which offer lunch, afternoon tea, or dinner cruises, with live entertainment and commentary. You can also hire a self-drive electric boat from Nottingham Electric Boat Hire, and navigate the river at your own pace.
- Visit the National Justice Museum. If you are interested in the history and the mystery of crime and punishment, you should visit the National Justice Museum, a museum that is housed in a former courthouse and prison. You can see the exhibits and artefacts that tell the stories of the people who lived and worked in the justice system, from judges and lawyers, to criminals and victims. You can also join the interactive tours and activities, such as the Crime and Punishment Tour, the Ghost Tour, or the Escape Room.
- Explore the Lace Market and the Industrial Museum. Nottingham was once the centre of the world's lace industry, producing fine and delicate fabrics that were exported all over the world. The Lace Market is a historic area in the city centre, where you can see the impressive red-brick buildings that housed the lace factories and warehouses. You can also visit the Nottingham Industrial Museum, which displays the machinery and tools used to make lace, or the Lace Centre, which sells lace products and souvenirs.
- Enjoy a meal or a drink at the Pitcher and Piano. If you are looking for a cosy and inviting place to enjoy a meal or a drink, you should visit the Pitcher and Piano, a bar and restaurant that is located in a former church. The building has been beautifully restored, retaining its original features, such as stained glass windows, organ pipes, and stone arches. The menu offers a variety of dishes, from burgers and pizzas, to salads and steaks. The bar also has a range of drinks, from cocktails and wines, to beers and ciders.
- Watch a show at the Theatre Royal and Royal Concert Hall. If you want to see some entertainment, you should watch a show at the Theatre Royal and Royal Concert Hall, one of the most prestigious and elegant venues in the UK. You can see a range of performances, from musicals and dramas, to comedies and ballets, that are suitable for couples and adults alike. You can also take part in workshops, talks, and tours, that are designed to enhance your experience.
These are just some of the many wonderful things to do in Nottingham for couples. If you are looking for a place to stay, look no further than Mercure Nottingham City Centre George Hotel, a boutique hotel that is located in the heart of Nottingham, in the Lace Market area. Our hotel is a historic building that dates back to 1822, and has been restored to its former glory, with a blend of Georgian architecture and contemporary design. Our hotel offers 76 individually designed bedrooms, a gym, a trendy bar, and a brasserie restaurant. Our hotel is also one of the first smart hotels in the UK, with a voice-controlled AI concierge in every room, providing entertainment, property services, and room service.
Book your stay with us today and enjoy the best of Nottingham's attractions and activities for couples. We look forward to welcoming you to Mercure Nottingham City Centre George Hotel.Book Now